Satisfy all your dessert cravings with this incredible Instant Pot Crème Brule Cheesecake! This Instant Pot cheesecake has the rich, creamy texture of a classic vanilla cheesecake, and is topped with a crispy caramelized sugar topping that we all expect in a crème brulee dessert! Simply the best!
This recipe has instructions for making a 6-inch cheesecake in the Instant Pot or in the oven like traditional cheesecake.
I cannot say enough good things about this cheesecake. It is literally the best cheesecake recipe there is, AND it is topped with a lovely crispy crème brulee topping.
If you’re thinking of a special holiday dessert or a decadent treat for a loved one, THIS is the cheesecake you want to make!
Cheesecakes are the perfect holiday desserts because:
- They’re so rich and indulgent, they are just right for the holidays!
- They need to be baked the night before, freeing up precious Instant Pot or oven space the day of the holiday party
- Since cheesecakes are baked the night before, you have plenty of time to relax or prepare some party appetizers the day of the party!
This recipe makes a tall, rich, 6-inch cheesecake. The reasons I choose to make a 6-inch cheesecake are:
- A 6-inch springform pan fits into an Instant Pot, and I love not having to mess around with a water bath or a hot oven (but I include oven instructions for this cheesecake too, in case you don’t have an Instant Pot!)
- A 6-inch cheesecake is taller, making it more stunning when served as a holiday dessert. You can serve compact, cute pieces that look gorgeous because they are taller than a traditional cheesecake but are still the perfect satisfying serving size
- A 6-inch cheesecake has a smaller chance of cracking in the middle while baking and during handling
Ready to get started??
Here’s what you need to make this cheesecake:
Aside from the obvious, such as the ingredients, bowls, and measuring cups/spoons, you will need a few special tools to make this cheesecake:
- Instant Pot (6-quart or 8-quart) with a trivet
- 6-inch springform pan (more on that below)
- Parchment paper (unless you get this 6-inch springform pan that comes with perfect circle parchment paper liners!)
- A whisk
- A stand-up mixer (or an electric mixer)
- Baking spray
- And the best part of all – a kitchen torch to caramelize the creme brulee topping! More on this later!
Instant Pot cheesecake
Have you ever made a cheesecake in your Instant Pot before? It is easier than you may think because the Instant Pot does all the cooking for you. Just set it and forget it!
The best part is that you don’t have to keep peeking in the oven to check on your cheesecake and don’t have to resist opening the oven door. (Because we all know that’s a no-no, right?? But why is it so hard to resist?!)
6-inch springform pan
To make a cheesecake in the Instant Pot, you will need a springform pan that fits into your Instant Pot. This is key! Double check that your pan fits into your Instant Pot before getting started with this recipe, if you’ve never made cheesecake in the Instant Pot before.
The 6-inch springform pan here is ideal. It comes with round parchment paper liners to save you time!
Otherwise, you will need to line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper yourself and cut it out yourself.
Using a kitchen torch / culinary torch to make creme brulee
I use a kitchen torch (aka a culinary torch or a cooking torch) for my eggnog creme brulee recipe and for pretty much anything that ca benefit from a delicate, crunchy, caramelized topping, such as this creme brulee cheesecake!
Kitchen torches are so fun to use and very inexpensive. They are a GREAT way to take your desserts to the next level without too much extra effort.
When purchasing a kitchen torch, you want to make sure you get the butane cartridges because they are typically not included. You can buy them together (see here), but it is cheaper to buy them separately! Check them out: kitchen torch, butane fuel.
To use a kitchen torch, simply spread a layer of sugar over your cooled creme brulee or cheesecake, turn on the torch, and find that sweet spot where the sugar caramelizes in a few seconds and doesn’t immediately burn. Don’t worry, even if one spot burns just a little too much, you can simply move the torch a bit farther from the sugar.
The sugar will melt at first, and then will harden into that wonderful, delicate crispy topping we all love in a creme brulee.
It is quite safe to use a kitchen torch, if you follow all the manufacturer’s safety instructions, and it is very easy to do so! There is no way to mess this up because the sugar does not burn instantly. So if you are up for a fun new kitchen technique, I would highly recommend trying this one out!!
Easy no-bake graham crust
For this cheesecake crust, you will need:
- 2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
You will combine the melted butter and the crushed graham cracker crumbs in a bowl, and press the mixture into the bottom of your parchment paper-lined and PAM-sprayed springform pan, and press up against the sides a bit. Then simply place the pan in the freezer while you prepare the cheesecake mixture!
Vanilla bean cheesecake
To make the cheesecake filling, you will need:
- Two 8-oz cream cheese packages, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla bean extract (or use this ground vanilla bean powder if you want a richer vanilla bean cheesecake and those gorgeous vanilla specks!)
Making the cheesecake might seem like it’s a lot of steps, but it’s really quite simple. In summary, you will make make the cheesecake filling in one bowl, pour it into the pan, cook in the Instant Pot, allow to cool, then use a culinary torch to add the creme brulee topping!
Want to make this cheesecake in the oven?? Scroll down to the recipe card for instructions!
Instant Pot instructions
Step 1: In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the cream cheese and vanilla (powder or extract) and beat with a mixer until smooth.
Step 2: Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully combined.
Step 3: Grab your crust out of the freezer and pour the cheesecake mixture into the crust.
Step 4: Cover the top of the cheesecake pan with foil. This is important!!
Step 5: Fill the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water, and place a trivet inside. Place the springform pan with the cheesecake batter on top of the trivet.
Step 6: Close the lid and set the valve to sealing. “Bake” on manual setting at high pressure for 40 minutes. Once the timer goes off, unplug the Instant Pot (aka don’t keep it on the “keep warm” setting and allow to natural release for 20 minutes.
Step 7: Remove the lid and use a paper towel to dap onto the foil to remove condensation. Carefully remove from the pot and place onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
Step 8: Place into the fridge overnight. This is important!! Do not try to cut this time short!
Step 9: Remove cheesecake from the fridge and remove it from the springform pan. Top the top of the cheesecake with ¾ cup of sugar.
Step 10: Using a kitchen torch, melt the sugar until it becomes crystallized.
It’s a few steps, but once you do it the first time, you will know exactly what to do next time around, and you will only need to refer to the ingredients list and the cooking time. And I promise you, once you taste this cheesecake, there will be a next time!
If you make this cheesecake recipe, or any other recipe from Babaganosh, please take a picture and tag me on INSTAGRAM or FACEBOOK. You can find me at @babaganoshblog on both. I love seeing your creations!
Looking for more gorgeous desserts?
- Cheesecake cookie cups (coming soon, sign up for the email list to know when new recipes come out!)
- Apple crumble cheesecake (coming soon!)
- No-bake key lime pie cheesecake dip
- Apple toffee cake
- Mini eclairs
- Eggnog creme brulee
- Red velvet crinkle cookies
- Twix hot cocoa bombs
- Almond Joy hot cocoa bombs
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don’t forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Instant Pot Creme Brulee Cheesecake
- Kitchen torch
- 6-inch springform pan
- Baking spray
For the graham cracker crust:
- 2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
For the vanilla cheesecake:
- 16 oz cream cheese softened (two 8-oz blocks)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract or 1 teaspoon ground vanilla
For the creme brulee topping:
- ¾ cup sugar
Prepare the graham cracker crust
- Line the bottom of a 6-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Spray the sides with baking spray (such as PAM).
- Combine the melted butter and the crushed graham crackers in a large bowl. Press the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared springform pan to form a crust.
- Place the pan in the freezer while you make the cheesecake mixture.
Make the cheesecake
- Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl (a stand-up mixer bowl is fine if you have one, you'll be beating in the cream cheese in the next step!).
- Add cream cheese and vanilla extract, and use an electric mixer to beat together until combined and smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, until combined.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture into the crust. Cover the pan with foil.
- Fill the instant pot with 1 cup of water. Place a metal trivet inside. Place the springform pan on top of the trivet.
- Close the lid and set the valve to sealing. Cook on manual setting high pressure for 40 minutes. Once the timer goes off allow to natural release for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and use a paper towel to dab the foil to remove condensation. Careful! The Instant Pot and the pan are hot!!
- Carefully remove from the pot and place onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Place into the fridge overnight. Do not skimp on the refrigeration time!
- Remove cheesecake from the fridge and remove it from the springform pan.
- Evenly sprinkle ¾ cup sugar over the cheesecake. Using a kitchen torch, melt the sugar until it becomes crystallized, and give it a minute to harden.
- Slice and serve!
- Save time by using store-bought crushed graham cracker crumbs
- Serve with whipped cream, or add fresh raspberries or strawberries for extra "wow" factor!
- To make this cheesecake in the oven, preheat the oven to 350F. Make the crust and the cheesecake filling as described above. Wrap outside of the springform pan in foil tightly (the foil is key for not getting water into the cheesecake!) and place the foil-wrapped cheesecake into a 9x13 inch pan filled halfway with water. Bake at 350F for 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes. The cheesecake should not be liquidy but should wiggle/jiggle a little only in the center when nudged, and the edges will start turning golden brown. The cheesecake will continue cooking as it cools and will set in the fridge overnight