Cubed butternut squash roasted with sweet and spicy Korean gochujang sauce.
This Gochujang Roasted Butternut Squash makes an amazing easy healthy side dish when you're looking for more flavor in your life and are tired of boring roasted vegetables.
If you like a little flavor and a little spice in your life, you'll LOVE this easy butternut squash side dish!
What is gochujang sauce?
Gochujang sauce is a sauce made from a red chile paste that contains fermented soybeans, salt, and a little sugar. Think sriracha, but with the consistency of ketchup and a sweeter, fuller flavor. It's a little spicy, a little sweet, and makes a great condiment and addition to lots of dishes.
Gochujang is Korean, but it can be used on any type of dish that could benefit from a little heat.
Where to find gochujang
You can find gochujang in most Asian supermarkets and in the international aisle of some large grocery stores. And of course you can always find it online if there are no stores near you that carry it. This is the one I used for this recipe.
Butternut squash and gochujang - the perfect combination!
I absolutely love pairing gochujang with butternut squash. Butternut squash is mild in flavor, and naturally creamy and slightly sweet when roasted. It goes so nicely with spicy gochujang sauce.
Adding gochujang sauce takes no effort at all and adds so much flavor to roasted butternut squash... which is delicious on its own, so imagine it with a little more flavor!
I roast the butternut squash with a drizzle of gochujang for 25-30 minutes minutes at 400F, stir halfway through, drizzle some more gochujang on, and enjoy!
The gochujang sauce caramelizes a little because of the sugars and gives the butternut squash the best golden brown roasted color.
Healthy side dish
Roasted butternut squash makes a super healthy side dish. Butternut squash is packed with vitamins C and C, magnesium, and potassium. It is also high in fiber.
And when roasted in little cubes, it is so easy to eat a large serving of this delicious vegetable!
What to serve with this gochujang butternut squash side dish
This roasted butternut squash is amazing as a side for BBQ pulled chicken with some brown rice. It also makes a great topping for these buckwheat bowls with roasted vegetables, if you want to go the vegetarian route.
Spicy and sweet roasted butternut squash drizzled with gochujang sauce is also amazing as a side dish for pork chops and roast pork.
The spicy gochujang-seasoned butternut squash would also make a great vegetarian taco filling, giving lots of spice and flavor to healthy tacos.
Looking for other butternut squash recipes?
- Butternut squash white bean mash
- Butternut squash and spinach skillet
- Butternut squash lentil soup
- Butternut squash Alfredo pasta - butternut squash makes an AMAZING lighter healthier Alfredo sauce!
- Baked butternut squash and chickpeas - one of the all-time most popular recipes on this blog!
- Coconut curry butternut squash soup
- 20 Butternut squash side dish recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
- 2 lbs cubed butternut squash (from 1 small-medium butternut squash)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon gochujang sauce (or more to taste)
- Optional garnish: sliced scallion
- Preheat oven to 400F. Brush a large baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Combine the cubed butternut squash with salt and garlic powder on a oiled large baking sheet, using your hands to mix everything together and arrange the butternut squash in a single layer. Drizzle the butternut squash with gochujang sauce. It's OK if not everything is covered in sauce - you will stir everything together later.
- Roast the butternut squash at 425F for a total of 20-30 minutes (until the butternut squash is cooked to your liking), stirring halfway through so all the butternut squash gets covered in the gochujang sauce.
- Remove from heat, garnish with scallions and additional gochujang sauce if desired. Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 441mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 8gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
The nutritional information displayed is just an estimate and will vary depending on the actual ingredients and brands used and the exact amounts used. Please consult with a dietitian or nutritionist if you are actually tracking nutritional information for health reasons.