Here's a Chocolate Avocado Smoothie for you so you can start the day off right with a refreshing smoothie full of healthy nutrient-rich ingredients.
This smoothie tastes just like a chocolate pudding!
Avocado in smoothies
Avocado makes a GREAT smoothie addition because it is rich, smooth, and easy to blend, making avocado smoothies extra silky. Avocado also adds a healthy fat that keeps us full longer.
If you don't love the idea of avocado in sweet recipes, don't worry!! When you add a little natural sweetener (such as honey in this recipe) and some chocolate (cocoa powder), the avocado flavor is completely undetected in smoothies!! Give it a try!
Related recipe: Chocolate Protein Pancakes
Super healthy smoothie
I don't often make smoothies for breakfast, so when I do have a smoothie, you better believe it's going to be GOOD and extra NUTRITIOUS and FILLING.
This chocolate avocado is loaded with healthy, filling ingredients:
- Avocado adds loads of healthy fats to keep you full and gives this smoothie a rich, pudding-like texture.
- Cocoa powder is an antioxidant powerhouse and doesn't contain any sugars. Oh, and it gives this smoothie a GREAT chocolate flavor. I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder in this smoothie and it gives the smoothie a super rich and dark chocolate color. You can use any cocoa powder you like! Here are a few options.
- A pinch of cinnamon adds more antioxidants to this chocolate smoothie and enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Honey adds a bit of natural sweetness to the smoothie. Trust me, it's needed unless your almond milk is sweetened. If you want a vegan smoothie, just use agave syrup instead of honey.
- Almond milk is a nice light vegan milk to help turn all the ingredients into a smooth, drinkable smoothie.
Just blend it all together and enjoy!
I love my Blendtec blender and use it daily. It's crazy powerful and makes super smooth smoothies.
Looking for other breakfast drinks?
- Coffee banana smoothie - a coffee + breakfast smoothie combo!
- Papaya shake - the simplest, surprisingly delicious smoothie
- Mocha dalgona coffee - try this chocolate whipped coffee over ice *or* steamed milk
- Pumpkin spice whipped coffee - a pumpkin spice twist on the dalgona coffee
- Buttermilk smoothie - just 3 ingredients and full of healthy probiotic and antioxidants!
Looking for other breakfast recipes?
- Protein pumpkin pancakes
- Blueberry oat Greek yogurt pancakes
- Bell pepper eggs in a hole
- Swiss chard, kale, and potato frittata
- Veggie-loaded no-bake frittata
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- Combine all the smoothie ingredients in a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. Taste and see if you want to add more honey or cocoa powder. Serve immediately, garnishing with shredded coconut.
- (If you're feeling extra, toast the shredded coconut in a dry skillet for 3-5 minutes over medium heat, or until it turns golden brown)
- If you use sweetened almond milk (or another sweetened milk), then try skipping the honey, or reducing the honey.
- The coconut flakes add a little bulk and filling fats and fiber to this smoothie, but you can skip them if you want. If using sweetened coconut flakes, you might need to reduce the honey.
- If you have leftover chocolate avocado smoothie, you might need to re-blend it to make it extra smooth again. It can get a little chunky while sitting in the fridge.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.