Last updated on May 26th, 2018.
You won’t miss the meat in these Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. Topped with melted Gruyere cheese, this is a tasty, healthy recipe. Make these for dinner tonight!
This post contains affiliate links.
Last week in our CSA box we got two adorable peppers. They were too cute to cut up into salads, so I held on to them for a whole week hoping to come up with something to do with them. Then this week we got two more of these adorable peppers! Now with four of them, it felt like it would be worth the work to make stuffed peppers.
I normally make stuffed peppers with ground beef, rice, and tomato sauce using my grandma’s recipe, but I had none of that on hand. I poked around in the pantry (who am I kidding, our tiny kitchen doesn’t have a pantry) and found quinoa. In the fridge we also had baby arugula, a ton of parsley, and tomatoes from the CSA share this week. That’ll work. 40 minutes later, I had delicious healthy vegetarian quinoa stuffed peppers. Yum!
While these stuffed peppers were baking, I went on a google scavenger hunt and found out that these are called cheese peppers. (How fitting, considering they are topped with melted cheese in my recipe. 🙂 ) If you don’t have cheese peppers on hand, just use any small red or yellow bell peppers.
How to make Quinoa Stuffed Peppers:
The recipe below looks like it has a lot of ingredients, but it’s actually very simple. You’ll clean out the peppers and put them in the oven to roast. While they are roasting, prepare the quinoa and mix the stuffing. Then stuff the quinoa into the roasted bell peppers, top with Gruyere cheese, and pop the peppers back into the oven for a few minutes.
The hardest part will be waiting for the peppers to cool down a bit so you can dig in!
Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 4 small cheese peppers or bell peppers , tops sliced off and seeds removed
- 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth for cooking quinoa (or use water)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups baby spinach or baby arugula , roughly chopped
- 1 plum tomato , diced and juices discarded
- 3 tablespoons parsley leaves , diced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese , or any melt-able cheese of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking dish with foil and spray with non stick spray. Bake the cleaned peppers for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the quinoa according to the package directions either in vegetable broth or water.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to a pan, add the minced garlic, and saute for 2 minutes. Add the roughly chopped arugula or spinach, and saute for a few minutes until it is all wilted.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, sauteed spinach or arugula, chopped parsley, and tomato, and mix well. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Distribute the quinoa stuffing into the bell peppers. Top each pepper with 1/4 of the grated Gruyere cheese.Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.