This easy Slow Cooker Cassoulet recipe makes a gourmet stew with smoked meats, hearty beans, and vegetables, and only takes 10 minutes of work! Try this easy cassoulet recipe for dinner tonight
We got home on Monday after a long weekend of skiing and I was too lazy to cook or do any errands, so I did what all
lazy smart people do: made dinner in a slow cooker! I made this amazing Slow Cooker Cassoulet recipe that I created in partnership with Randall Beans. This is seriously the most delicious and gourmet stew you can make. It even sounds all fancy – ”cah-soo-lay.” Ooh la la.
A Cassoulet is a French stew with white beans and smoked meats, and it is traditionally cooked on the stove top for hours to let all the flavors blend to perfection… but ain’t nobody got time for that! At least not on days that we come back from a weekend getaway! And that’s where the slow cooker part comes in. This recipe takes about 10-15 minutes of prep work and then the slow cooker does the rest. And let me tell you, this comes out delicious. The smoked sausages infuse the whole dish with an amazing smoky flavor with lots of depth, and you get a really yummy, hearty stew with minimal work. That’s my kind of recipe.
Slow Cooker Cassoulet
- 1 small leek , diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 large carrots , diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery , diced (about 1 cup)
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms , halved if large
- 1 28-oz jar diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 14-oz cans cooked white beans , such as navy beans (about 3 cups cooked beans)
- 1 lb smoked sausage , sliced into 1/3 inch pieces (spicy Salami and/or Chorizo work great!)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves , plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the diced leek, carrots, and minced garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the celery and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer the sauteed vegetables to a slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients (mushrooms through dried thyme) and stir well. Cover and cook on the low temperature setting for 5 hours.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve hot with chopped parsley as garnish.