Last updated on April 19th, 2018.
This has got to be the easiest recipe in the world – aside from pouring a bowl of cereal or making a sandwich. Actually no, making a sandwich takes more technique than this delicious Chickpeas and Chorizo dish. When making a sandwich you have to make sure the tomato is not touching the bread so the bread does not get soggy, and you to think about what kind of meat and cheese pairing you want, and which condiments go together. And if you’re going to cut it in half you need to make sure the insides don’t get squished out. But this Chickpeas and Chorizo dinner? No skills needed. Whatsoever.
I realize that most people who are looking at food blogs are capable of more than this recipe (heck, they can even make a sandwich!), but sometimes a recipe is so good you just have to share it, no matter how simple.
So here it is. Chickpeas and crumbled Chorizo sausage swimming around happily in a flavorful tomato sauce. All of this is served over rice, quinoa, or as I did – yellow bulgur. Your side dish/grain can cook while the Chickpeas and Chorizo skillet is simmering and the tomato sauce is reducing. Your dinner will be ready in 25 minutes and you won’t be hangry.
This recipe contains affiliate links.
25 Minute Chickpeas with Chorizo
- 1 lb uncooked chorizo sausage , removed from casing
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes with garlic and basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped cilantro or scallions for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet or wok, and add the chorizo. Break up the chorizo with a spatula and brown over high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chickpeas and diced tomatoes, and give it a stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomato sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro or scallions. Serve over rice, quinoa, or bulgur (cracked wheat).