If you're cuckoo for cottage cheese like I am, then you're going to want to check out all these Cottage Cheese Toast Ideas! The list below is broken down into savory cottage cheese toasts and sweet cottage cheese topping ideas.
Cottage cheese toast is my go-to no-cook lunch. It takes 5 minutes to prep, has protein, fiber (thanks to whole grain bread), and can be customized a bazillion different ways.
I top cottage cheese with whatever I have on hand in the fridge—it's a great way to use up leftovers so there's no food waste. So make sure to check out all my cottage cheese toast topping ideas below!
Be sure to also check out these low-carb cottage cheese recipes!
Savory cottage cheese toast ideas
- Add a few tablespoons of tomato confit, topped by sea salt and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. This is by far my favorite!!
- Fresh cherry tomatoes, halved, or sliced tomatoes. Add some fresh basil.
- Spread homemade pesto on the bread, then add a layer of cottage cheese. Devour.
- Top cottage cheese toast with sliced avocado, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a generous pinch of sea salt on top.
- Sardines, straight from the can. Smoked sardines packed in olive oil are my favorite. A great source of healthy fish oils! Add a squeeze of lemon juice, some salt if needed.
- Sliced hard boiled egg, salt, and pepper.
- Stir together cottage cheese with a spicy pepper jelly.
- Mix cottage cheese together with shredded cooked chicken and Buffalo wing sauce. It's like a healthy buffalo chicken spread!
- Sprinkle everything but the bagel seasoning on top.
- Sprinkle za'atar seasoning on top.
- Sliced cucumbers, salt, pepper.
- Thin-sliced lox, thinly-sliced red onion, capers, lemon juice. Try this homemade lox!
- Add some blue cheese crumbles and fresh chives on top.
- Canned tuna on top, with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Thinly sliced radishes, scallions, with salt and pepper.
- Scrambled eggs. Extra protein, yay!
- Prosciutto and thinly sliced melon.
- Crumbled cooked bacon.
- Caramelized onion.
- Microgreens (sprouts).
- Sliced roasted beets, goat cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Top un-toasted bread with cottage cheese, add a slice of cheese, and toast in a toaster oven or air fryer.
- Top untoasted bread with cottage cheese, add a slice of pepper Jack cheese, add a few jalapeño slices, and toast in a toaster oven.
- Sliced olives (seedless).
- Roasted red peppers.
- Sauteed sliced mushrooms.
- Diced sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed) and crumbled feta.
- Leftover roasted or grilled veggies.
Want more savory cottage cheese ideas? Check this list of savory cottage cheese recipes!
Related recipe: Burrata Toast Ideas
Sweet cottage cheese toast ideas
- A drizzle of honey or agave syrup over the cottage cheese. Simple!!
- Try hot honey on your cottage cheese toast.
- Sliced grapes and a drizzle of honey or balsamic glaze.
- Slices strawberries, with honey or balsamic glaze.
- Sliced banana and cinnamon.
- Stir pumpkin puree and cottage cheese together, a drizzle of agave syrup, add a pinch of pumpkin spice seasoning, spread on toast (similar to my whipped cottage cheese, but without the blender!)
- Sprinkle on generous amounts of powdered freeze-dried strawberries onto your cottage cheese toast.
- Stir cottage cheese together with apple butter. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Cinnamon sugar on cottage cheese toast. That is all. Oh, and if you love cinnamon sugar, you're going to LOVE these churro pancakes!
- Mix cottage cheese with your favorite fruit preserves or jam.
- Top cottage cheese toast with fresh berries and sprinkle with sugar or drizzle with honey.
- Diced mango.
- Sliced peaches. Make sure the peaches are ripe and SWEET!
- Drizzle of sweetened condensed milk or dulce de leche.
- Drizzle of almond butter and honey (heat the almond butter gently in the microwave to get it to soften), pinch of cinnamon.
- Mix cottage cheese with cocoa powder and agave syrup for a chocolate toast.
- Pomegranate arils and honey.
- Leftover Thanksgiving cranberry sauce.
Want more sweet cottage cheese ideas? Try this mango whipped cottage cheese!
More cottage cheese toast toppings
Whatever your "main" additions are, you can always spruce up your toast with any of the following:
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Thinly sliced almonds (for crunch!)
- Candied nuts
- Poppy seeds
- Hemp hearts
- Chia seeds
- Pepitas (toast them first)
- Honey, agave, hot honey, balsamic glaze
- Sea salt
- Flavored salt, or smoked salt
- Fresh herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, depending on what you're pairing it with)
- Chili crisp oil
- Crispy fried onions
Hungry for more cottage cheese recipes? Try these whipped cottage cheese bowls with almond butter!
Tips for making cottage cheese toast
→ If your cottage cheese is watery, strain it through a fine mesh sieve or colander with tiny holes first, to prevent your toast from getting soggy.
→ Prep all your toppings before topping your toast with cottage cheese, so the toppings are ready to add immediately. Otherwise, some bread can get soggy if you put cottage cheese on it and then start dicing your toppings.
→ TOAST the bread!!
→ HAVE FUN WITH IT and try different toppings!
Want more cottage cheese recipes? Try this cottage cheese smoothie!
Bread for cottage cheese toast
I like rye, sourdough, or a seedy multigrain bread for cottage cheese toast. Crusty loaf-type breads are my favorite for cottage cheese toast instead of soft sandwich bread. Use whatever bread you have on hand and play around with it!
Be sure to toast the bread! The warm bread is a game changer.
More cottage cheese recipes to try: Dragon Fruit Whipped Cottage Cheese
Was this list helpful? Be sure to SHARE it and SAVE it on Pinterest so you can find it later!