Roast Tomato and Pesto Crostini with Balsamic Glaze are a gorgeous appetizer for any party. Fresh & flavorful basil pesto, naturally sweet grape tomatoes, and the addictive balsamic glaze are a perfect combination.
PERFECT appetizer for New Years Eve and other holidays or for warm summer nights to celebrate the flavors of summer with fresh basil pesto and in-season tomatoes.
This recipe was sponsored by Pomora Olive Oil, and I am super excited to share it with you!
Roast tomato and pesto crostini
The combination of toppings in this crostini appetizer recipe is OUT OF THIS WORLD: A generous slather of fresh homemade lemony basil pesto topped with roasted cherry and grape tomatoes and drizzled with a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze.
Roasting the tomatoes brings out their sweetness and juiciness. I like to roast whole grape or cherry tomatoes because (1) it's easier than having to slice them and (2) leaving the tomatoes whole means you get a nice burst of flavor when you bite into the crostini.
It's OK if the tomatoes burst while they are roasting!
Related recipe: Tomato Avocado Bruschetta
Fresh lemony basil pesto
I really recommend making fresh pesto for this recipe instead of buying the jarred stuff. The pesto is what really makes this recipe.
Luckily, pesto is really easy to make and you can make it while the tomatoes are roasting. Just place all the ingredients in a small food processor and pulse or process until you get to your preferred pesto texture. I like to leave the pesto chunky for more texture and flavor.
I add a little extra lemon juice to make a lemony pesto - I think it's extra delicious this way.
You can skip the pine nuts or Parmesan cheese if you have allergies - the pesto still comes out great thanks to all the fresh basil.
Related recipe: Fresh Tomato and Pesto Pizza
I finish this pesto crostini with a generous drizzle of balsamic glaze. Balsamic glaze is just balsamic vinegar that is cooked down and reduced with some sugar added. It has almost a syrupy consistency and it is SO GOOD. It has a nice balsamic tang which is balanced out by the sweetness. It is fantastic on pesto crostini with tomatoes.
Luckily this stuff is just as good bottled as it is when you make it from scratch, so just get it here.
Related recipe: Fried Brie
If you make this pesto crostini appetizer, please take a picture and tag me on Instagram or Facebook. You can find me at @babaganoshblog on both. I love seeing your creations!
Looking for more easy appetizers and delicious pesto flavors?
- Here are all my party appetizers - lots of other crostini ideas here!
- Roasted grapes crostini with whipped blue cheese spread
- Truffled mushrooms with whipped feta cheese
- Roasted cauliflower with parsley pesto
- Easy salami appetizer
- Lox appetizer platter
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Pesto and Roast Tomato Crostini with Balsamic Glaze
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves - (from 1 large bunch)
- 1/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper - , to taste
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper - , to taste
- 1 French baguette - , sliced into 1 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss the tomatoes in olive oil and season lightly with salt & pepper. Roast in the oven at 400F for about 10 minutes, or until tomatoes start to split and release juices.
- Brush the baguette slices with olive oil and toast in the oven at 400F for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine all the ingredients for the pesto in a small food processor, and pulse for a few seconds until well combined. Taste and see if more salt or lemon juice is needed.
- To assemble the crostini: add about 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon pesto to each slice of toasted baguette. Top each crostini with 2-3 burst tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve warm immediately.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.