Last updated on April 19th, 2018.
Make this easy Garbanzo Chicken Salad for a quick and healthy school lunch or after-school snack. Serve in a pita or on your favorite bread. This recipe will quickly become a family favorite!
Can ya’ll believe it is September already? What happened to the summer?? I was so not ready for this! I was hoping to get one more beach day this summer, but the Labor Day weekend is looking kind of chilly and rainy here in NJ. Bummer. Maybe I’ll use the long weekend for some “Welcome Fall” baking! 🙂
Since September was coming up, Randall Beans asked me to come up with some quick and easy ‘back to school’ recipes that are simple and that kids would love. This Garbanzo Chicken Salad is one of the two recipes I made for Randall Beans. Ever since I first made this Garbanzo Chicken Salad, I’ve been making variations of it for dinner all the time!
I love adding garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to chicken salad because it makes a delicious, filling chicken salad that doesn’t have just chicken in it. Add in some crunchy celery, juicy grapes, flavorful herbs, and scallions to give this salad an awesome texture and flavor that is perfect for both kids and adults. It’s a great healthy lunch or after-school snack. It can also be a very satisfying dinner if the salad is stuffed into a pita or piled on top of some rye bread.
Does anyone else love caraway seeds in rye bread as much as I do? Aldo is not a fan and I always feel bad when I get the bread with the seeds. 🙁 But apparently not bad enough to get the seedless bread. 🙂
Anyway, enjoy this yummy Garbanzo Chicken Salad – by itself or on seeded rye bread. 😉 And stay tuned for “Back to school” recipe #2 from Randall Beans!
Back to School Garbanzo Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast , shredded or diced into ½ inch pieces (10 oz)
- 1 14- oz jar Garbanzo beans , drained and rinsed (Chickpeas)
- 1 cup seedless grapes , halved
- ½ cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 2 scallions , chopped
- ¼ cup parsley leaves , chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- Optional: Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge before serving. Serve as a salad or as a sandwich in some pita or over your favorite bread.
Check out these other recipes: