Fresh and delicious Blackened Salmon topped with Mango Black Bean Relish is a quick and elegant meal. Gourmet dinner at home couldn't get any easier!
Serve this over mashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, rice, or quinoa. Or stuff it all in a tortilla and make salmon tacos!
I am so excited to share this recipe with everyone! I created this recipe for Randall Beans when they asked for a dinner recipe that was "easy and elegant."
I knew it was going to be a great combination of flavors when I came up with this recipe, but I didn't fully realize how amazing this was going to taste until I made it! This is one of my favorite things I've eaten in a long time, and my husband agrees.
It's now in regular rotation in our house. And it should be in yours! Let me tell you why.
Related recipe: Crab Cakes with Mango Relish
In this recipe, salmon is seasoned generously with Cajun seasoning and pan-seared for just 2-3 minutes. Just enough time for the salmon to cook, but not overcook so it doesn't get dry and rubbery. While the salmon cooks, the seasoning turns a rich brown/black color and gives the salmon an amazing spicy, fresh, smoky flavor.
Related recipe: Cajun Salmon Bites
I love using this Cajun seasoning if I am using store-bought Cajun seasoning. It doesn't have any funky preservatives or salt, so you have control over the flavor of your dishes. It comes in a packet that is enough for several dinners but not enough so it gets lost in the back of your pantry and gets stale and loses flavor before you get a chance to use it. Perfect!
It's the simplest possible way to make blackened salmon without having to take out a bunch of spices from your pantry. If you love blackened seasoning, I have a from-scratch recipe here in my Blackened Chicken recipe.
Make sure to save the skin from the cooked salmon to make crispy salmon bacon!
Related recipe: Blackened Salmon Rice Bowls
Mango Black Bean Relish
The Mango Black Bean Relish that I serve over the salmon is so fresh and light, with just the right amount of fruity mango and citrusy lime juice to pull it all together. I also add chopped bell pepper to the relish to give it a juicy crunch.
The relish itself makes an amazing salad / salsa that tastes delicious with tortilla chips. But the relish REALLY shines when served with the blackened salmon because the sweet, juicy relish complements the smoky, spicy Cajun-flavored salmon.
Every bite is just perfect together. It's a similar vibe to my trout tacos with mango salsa.
Related recipe: Mango Desserts to Try
What to serve with this Blackened Salmon
I served this Blackened Salmon and Mango Black Bean Relish with mashed cauliflower to make really healthy and somewhat low-carb dinner.
It would also go great with so many other side dishes such as grits, rice (cilantro lime rice would be awesome!), quinoa, or mashed potatoes.
The whole recipe is super easy and quick to make, and it is super healthy. I also love how colorful it is - this will look gorgeous on your dinner plate! 🙂
More Seafood Recipes
Looking for more seafood recipes? Try these reader favorites:
- Crab cakes with mango relish - an amazing appetizer or main course
- Air Fryer Salmon and Asparagus -they cook together at the same time in the air fryer! Super easy dinner!
- Mayo crusted salmon - a unique and super delicious whole salmon fillet recipe with a creamy mayo crust!
- Salmon potato patties - just 4 ingredients and so easy!
- Pan-seared salmon with an apricot tomato relish - a 10-minute dinner
- Cajun shrimp with cauliflower "grits" - a low-carb, keto-friendly dinner ready in 20 minutes with just 4 main ingredients
- Cajun shrimp with cheesy grits - a Cajun classic
- Cajun shrimp spinach salad - with a homemade cilantro lime dressing (keto-friendly!)
- Cajun shrimp sweet potato hash
- Shrimp and sweet potato coconut curry - serve this on its own as a soup or over rice or noodles for a more filling meal
- Oven-baked swai fillets with a lemon-garlic white wine sauce - this one is GREAT to feed a crowd, the light and flavorful lemony sauce is just fantastic. You can use tilapia or any white fish fillets in this recipe
- Swai fillets in a tomato caper sauce - a light and flavorful sauce perfect for swai or any white fish
- Chili lime swai - a 10 minute recipe, PERFECT for fish tacos
- Shrimp in tomato sauce - a 20 minute dinner recipe
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
Mango Black Bean Relish over Blackened Salmon
- 4 small salmon fillets
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning - (use more or less to taste, or try it with chili powder instead!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 mango
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 14-oz can black beans - , drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves - , chopped
- 2 scallions - , chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime - (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoons salt - (or more to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper - , to taste
- Peel and dice the mango into small pieces (about 1/4 - 1/3 inch). Remove the seeds and the pith from the red bell pepper and dice the bell pepper into small pieces about the same size as the mango.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced mango, bell pepper, black beans, cilantro leaves, scallions, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes before serving to allow the flavors to fuse together
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.