Get the recipe for this Sausage and Shrimp Skillet with only 4 main ingredients. Delicious & easy for a quick weeknight meal! Gluten free, low carb, high protein, and keto-friendly. Serve this sausage and shrimp recipe on its own or over rice or pasta for a more filling meal.
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure.
I have been totally ignoring this food blog lately. But I have a valid excuse! After almost a year of house-hunting, we put an offer on a house! So Aldo and I have been busy every day learning about the house buying process, reading the contract, finding an attorney, researching home inspections, etc etc. ADULTING.
I am not getting too excited about the house yet, it is an old house, so who knows what deal-breakers the inspection will find (update: the house was totally crooked and the inspector wondered how it was even still standing…. our search continues!).
But nevertheless, we have been keeping busy with all of the above and with trying to purge extra stuff that we have accumulated in our apartment. Ohmygosh, where does all that stuff come from??
Because of this, our dinners have been quick. But that does not mean that we are compromising on flavor or healthiness!
This Sausage and Shrimp Skillet has made an appearance for dinner twice recently since it is so delicious and so easy to make.
I love the combination of spicy Italian sausages and perfectly cooked shrimp tossed with crisp-tender bell peppers. The flavors are delicious – spicy sausage, sweet peppers, wonderful shrimp.
All the bite-sized pieces in this dish make every single bite perfectly delicious.
And I am also in love with the beautiful colors in this dish!
What you’ll need to make this sausage and shrimp recipe:
- Sausages. Sausages need to be pre-cooked, so this recipe is great for using leftover sausages from a barbecue. I love using spicy Italian sausages for this recipe, but you can definitely use sweet Italian sausages. To save time, you can always pre-cook the Italian sausages the night before and keep them in the fridge until read to make this dish. Or you can also get some cooked Italian sausages from a deli. Of course, you can always cook the sausage first and then continue making the rest of the recipe right in the same skillet. It’ll just take a bit longer than 20 minutes.
Kielbasa or chorizo would also work well, since those are already cooked when they are sold (please double check this on the packaging!) so it will save you the time of pre-cooking the sausage.
- Shrimp. I always buy raw frozen shrimp instead of buying pre-cooked shrimp. I find the texture so much better when I cook the shrimp myself. Home-cooked shrimp is also tastier because you can actually add some seasoning to the shrimp instead of having bland flavor-less rubbery shrimp that was boiled or steamed. Besides, shrimp cooks so quickly that it’s worth the extra few minutes to get so much more flavor in your dishes.
For this recipe, I recommend buying peeled and de-veined shrimp to save some time. You can buy shrimp with the tails already removed, or cook the shrimp with the tails on – whatever you prefer. Smaller shrimp work great for this dish because we want everything to be in smaller bite-sized pieces. I used the 25-31 shrimp/lb size, and it was perfect for this sausage and shrimp recipe.
- Bell peppers. This recipe calls for 2 bell peppers. If you can get them in different colors it will make this dish look so festive! I used red and yellow for this recipe.
- Yellow onion, fresh herbs. Fresh is best! A freshly diced onion will give this dish a lovely flavor, so don’t substitute onion powder in this recipe. Same for the fresh herbs. Parsley, cilantro, and/or scallions make a great garnish for this recipe. They are colorful and give so much fresh flavor. The dried stuff just won’t do. I love using my herb scissors to quickly chop herbs. They are a huge time saver and they’re fun to use.
You should also check out these other colorful, flavorful sausage and shrimp recipes:
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know with a comment and a star rating below! And don’t for get to save it on Pinterest for later:
20 Minute Sausage and Shrimp Recipe
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bell peppers
- 12 oz raw shrimp , peeled and deveined (about 25-31 shrimp/lb)
- Salt & pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon each)
- 4 spicy Italian sausages , cooked (about 6 inches each)
- Optional garnish: 2 tablespoons fresh herbs , such as chopped scallion, cilantro, and/or parsley
- Prepare all the ingredients: Chop the onion. Clean the bell peppers and chop them into 1/2 - 1 inch bite-sized pieces. Slice the sausages into 1/4 - 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add the chopped onion and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion softens. Turn up the heat to high, add the bell peppers and shrimp and saute until shrimp is fully cooked, about 3 minutes on high heat. Add the sliced sausage and stir to heat through. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh herbs.