You're not going to believe how amazing these Zucchini Brownies taste! Not only are they packed full of healthy ingredients but the kids won't even be able to tell they have zucchini.
If you're looking for a way to try a healthier new spin on dessert or have an overabundance of zucchini, you can't go wrong with this simple brownie recipe. This recipe is egg-free and accidentally vegan.
To the naked eye, these zucchini brownies look no different at all. And to the taste buds? Literally that same amazing brownie texture and taste. But your secret that you'll NEVER want to share with the kids is that you've loaded these brownies down with an abundance of zucchini!
Zucchini is amazing in desserts because it adds moisture and makes for soft, chewy brownies, cookies, and muffins. And it is a healthier option because you are adding a little hidden veggies!!
Related recipe: Zucchini Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Here's what you need to make the zucchini brownies at home:
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (that's about one medium ~8-10 ounce zucchini)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (use vegan dark chocolate chips, if you prefer)
- ¼-⅓ cup non-dairy milk (or regular milk)
You'll also need:
- 8x12 inch baking dish (this set has a gorgeous 8x12 inch dish. You can use a more standard 9x13 inch dish, but the brownies will be thinner and might need a couple of minutes less baking time).
- Parchment paper
Related recipe: Vegan Zucchini Muffins
There isn't a ton of steps to making these hidden-veggie brownies, so don't worry!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Step 2: In a big bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
Step 3: Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl into the microwave for 30 seconds. Check to see if the chocolate chips melted. If not, microwave in 10-20 second increments until melted. Add melted chocolate to the previous bowl. Stir to combine.
Related recipe: Chocolate-Covered Brownies with Raspberry Flakes
Step 4: Add the cocoa powder and the baking powder and stir again. Then add all-purpose flour little by little until everything is well combined. At this point, the mixture will be dry.
Step 5: Add shredded zucchini and stir very well. Once everything is combined, add the milk. Between ¼ to ⅓ cup should be enough to have a moist but not too wet batter.
Related recipe: Hidden Vegetable Zucchini Pancakes
Step 6: Line a baking tray (8’’x12’’) with parchment paper.
Step 7: Spread the batter evenly onto the parchment paper.
Step 8: Bake the brownies for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 9: Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. The longer they cool, they easier they will be to slice. Slice into 12 pieces and enjoy! Try them warm with a scoop of ice cream on top! Or add a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
More grated zucchini recipes: Zucchini Tortillas
What is the easiest way to shred zucchini?
I like to use a cheese grater (the biggest hole) to shred the zucchini but you can use anything that you'd like to get that texture and consistency.
Related recipe: Shredded Zucchini Fritters
Can you freeze brownies for later?
You can and it's a great idea! To freeze brownies, just put them in a freezer-safe bag with a square of parchment paper in between each piece, and freeze them for later.
Need more chocolate recipes?
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes
- Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Dalgona Coffee
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
More delicious desserts to try:
- Cake Pops
- Cinnamon Butterscotch Blondies
- Perfect Oatmeal Craisin Pecan Cookies
- Eggnog Creme Brulee (3 Ingredients!)
- Apple Pie Cups
If you enjoyed this recipe, let me know with a comment and a star rating below. And don't forget to share it on Facebook and save it on Pinterest for later!
- 8x12 inch baking dish
- Cheese grater
- Small microwave-safe bowl
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- In a big bowl, whisk coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl into the microwave for 30 seconds. Check if they need a few more seconds, and microwave in 10-20 second increments, until melted. Add melted chocolate to the previous bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add cocoa powder and baking powder and stir again. Then add all-purpose flour little by little until everything is well combined. At this point, it will be dry.
- Add shredded zucchini and stir very well. Once everything is combined, add the milk. Between ¼ to ⅓ cup should be enough to have a moist, but not too wet batter.
- Line a baking tray (8’’x12’’) with parchment paper. Spread the batter evenly onto the parchment paper.
- Bake the brownies for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes, slice into 12 pieces, and enjoy! Try these warm with ice cream, or a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
The nutritional information displayed is an estimate and not to be used as dietary or nutritional advice. Consult a nutritionist or dietician for nutritional info based on the exact ingredients you use.